Contact the Committee

All correspondence to the Committee must be sent to:

Committee on Judicial Responsibility and Disability
P.O. Box 8058
Portland, ME 04104-8058

To reach the Committee by phone:

(207) 780-4364

PLEASE NOTE: The Committee cannot be contacted by email.


The Committee investigates complaints, holds hearings, makes findings, reports misconduct or disability, and recommends disciplinary action to the Supreme Judicial Court. The committee is not a substitute for an appeal or other remedy in the litigation itself.

The Committee cannot intervene in or change court proceedings or decisions in any way, and it should not be relied on for that purpose.

If you disagree with or wish to contest a ruling in your case it may be appropriate for you to file an appeal.

Click here for more information about the appeal process.


How to file a complaint

Submit the complaint in writing. You may write a letter to the Committee or use a complaint form provided by the Committee that may be downloaded from this website.

Include the following information if it applies to your particular complaint:

  • The name of the judge.

  • The conduct about which you are complaining. State facts, not just your conclusions. For example, instead of saying simply that “the judge was rude,” tell what the judge said or did that made you feel that the judge was rude.

  • The date and time of the conduct and any court proceedings involved.

  • The name of the city or town where the court proceedings were held.

  • The type of court (District, Superior, Probate, or Supreme Judicial Court).

  • The name of the case and any court docket numbers.

  • Contact information for witnesses, that is anyone else who may have seen or heard the conduct, or who has information about the complaint along with their addresses and telephone numbers.

Sign the letter or complaint form.

How long does it take for a complaint to be processed?

It takes approximately three months to resolve most complaints. More time may be required based on the complexity of the matter, the nature or extent of the proceedings, the availability of witness testimony, or the seriousness of the misconduct alleged.

How does the Committee decide if there was misconduct?

Based on the information it has received, the Committee will make factual findings and determine whether those findings establish that a judge has violated the Code of Judicial Conduct. The full text of the Code of Judicial Conduct and the Rules governing the Committee are contained in Maine Rules of Court, an annual publication available in state and county law libraries; the University of Maine School of Law Garbrecht Library in Portland in other general public libraries, and on the Committee’s website.